Tuesday 22 July 2014

City Break Makeup Essentials - From Dippy Writes


Here is part 2 of my holiday series on Dippy Writes

Last time I spoke about beach holidays and today I’m going to chat a bit about city breaks. As much as I love lazing about a pool or on the beach, city breaks are without a doubt my favourite type of holiday. I love sight seeing, wandering through museums and experiencing the different cultures. Packing for city breaks is a little more tricky than for a beach holiday because it’ll obviously depend on exactly where you’re going and what you’re going to be doing. I’ve got a little selection of products which would be a decent starting point and hopefully will cover most eventualities! 



As horrible as it is to say, so many cities are known for the high levels of pollution so for a base, I thought Clinique’s City Block would be a good option. It has a light coverage, an SPF of 25 and is packed full of antioxidants so it should help balance out some of the nasties from the atmosphere. This is lovely on it’s own but if you would prefer to use a foundation on a city break, it’s acts as a good base and with SPF 25, you can’t really go wrong. As for cheeks, Benefit’s Benetint is one of my favourites for it’s staying power and lovely rose colour. If you’re heading out sightseeing all day then going straight for dinner and drinks, then this will see you through to the end. Brush on whiskers (3 stripes along your apples), then blend out for a healthy flush of colour (remember to do one cheek at a time or those whiskers will be permanent!). To set all of this, Vichy Dermablend Setting Powder is a great option as it’s feels light on your skin but is waterproof (or sweat proof depending on where you’re going). Just take a mini kabuki brush for convenience and you’re set (no pun intended).

As for eyes, I’ve picked Urban Decay’s Naked 2 and Benefit’s They’re Real Push Up Liner. They’re Real Push Up Liner is a recent purchase for me but one I very quickly fell in love with. The design of the tip makes it really easy to follow the shape of you eye and the staying power is amazing, it’s perfect as part of the classic french flick and red lips. You can read my full review here. I’m sure the Naked 2 palette needs no introduction. The cool toned taupes remains a firm favourite in my makeup bag and is perfect for day and night. For a light day time look simply pat Booty Call on the centre of you lid, blend Tease into the crease and line with They’re Real. If you like something a bit more dramatic for night, use Suspect all over the lid, blend Pistol into the crease then intensify the crease with Busted. For added drama, you could always add a flick with They’re Real Liner. Just finish these looks off with Estee Lauder Sumptuous Infinite mascara for added length and volume then brush Mac Brow Set through your brows for a light tint.

For lips, I’ve went for a Clinique Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry. I love Chubby Sticks, they’re perfect for just throwing for a light colour and added moisture. This light, rosey red colour is gorgeous on it’s own, but it matches Benetint perfectly if you wanted a slightly more intense colour. 

Are you off on a city break this year? What will you be taking?



6 comments :

  1. The Naked 2 comes with me EVERYWHERE! :)
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my chubby stick and vichy setting powder. I imagine you can get loads of looks out of the naked palette too! x

    http://creamteaandrosejam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried the push up liner yet but I really wanted too. I think I might go pick one up cos I am really bad with eyeliner :)
    xx

    http://thebeautifullydisastrous.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really easy to use. I've recently found that it dries out really easily though. x

      Delete