Tuesday 15 July 2014

Pale Girl Foundation

Being as pale as I am, I’ve always had difficulties getting foundation. I have ginger skin without the ginger hair, it’s quite the anomaly. I remember the first time I found a foundation that was the perfect colour for my skin, it was at Bobbi Brown in House of Fraser in Glasgow. I’d just recently started working at Benefit but at the time they only sold Play Sticks and their lightest colour was too dark for me. Until then, I only really used concealer and a bit of powder as I was pretty fortunate with my skin. One of the store managers told me that I wasn’t wearing enough makeup (I had on all of the usual products with the exception of foundation, so looking back on this now I get pretty angry that I didn’t stand up for myself), so I found myself on the hunt for a foundation. I tried on so many foundations but not one blended into my skin (despite what the girls working on the counters said - you’re better going outside to check yourself). I was getting pretty frustrated until I started speaking to one of the girls working at Bobbi Brown. The girl was great, she sat me down and started showing me a few colours. I went outside to look in natural light and it was love at first sight. I actually hugged the girl and I’m not hugger. The first foundation that actually matched my skin was Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich Foundation in 00 Alabaster. It was not long after this I started reading blogs and watching Youtube reviews of girls who had similar skin tones. I started trying their recommendations and through working in a beauty hall, I started playing more with the different foundations and found a few more gems that were actually the right colour for my skin. Since then, I’ve found quite a few foundations that work for my skin tone in a range of finishes and levels of coverage. 

Foundation Pale Skin

The Tinted Moisturiser 
Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturiser in Alabaster Tint - this lightweight tinted moisturiser offers a sheer coverage to help even out skin tone. Perfect for in summer when you’re looking for something a bit more natural. I wear this every day to work and it’s still on when I come home. 

Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturiser

The Light Coverage Foundations
Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturising Foundation in 00 Alabaster - hydrating, light coverage foundation. This has a lovely finish but the staying power isn’t great. I believe they have reformulated this one, so that might be something they improved on. 

Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturising Foundation

YSL Touche Eclat Foundation in BR10 - I LOVE this foundation. This foundation builds up really well so although I’ve put it in the light coverage category, it could just as easily fit in to the medium coverage section. The colour of this is perfect for me, it’s light enough but with cooler tones. The finish is gorgeous, it’s dewy but not shiny. As for the staying power, it’s not a foundation I would wear to work but with primer and a bit of powder, it’s not bad. I wear this mainly at weekends, going out for dinner etc.

SL Touche Eclat Foundation

The Medium Coverage Foundations
MAC Studio Sculpt in NC15 - I go through phases with this foundation. Sometimes I feel like it leaves my skin looking great, other times it seems make me look scaly by clinging to any little dry patches of skin. When it’s behaving, the gel formula blends in beautifully leaving a medium coverage with a slightly dewy finish. The colour is gorgeous too, another one that has just enough pink to it. 

MAC Studio Sculpt

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Soft Ivory - this foundation is beautiful, it blends seamlessly into the skin. It covers well and the staying power is great (I do find that I need a powder top up in the middle of the day if I’m wearing it to work though) yet it leaves a luminous finish. Normally you don’t seem to get a middle ground with foundation, you either get good staying power with a matte finish or a dewy finish with average staying power, this foundation is the exception.

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

The Full Coverage Foundations
Bobbi Brown Long Wear Even Finish Foundation in 0 Porcelain - this foundation is great if you need a bit more coverage but still want something that looks natural. Although this foundation promises to keep skin hydrated I do find that it sometimes clings to dry patches. I have the second lightest colour which is an ok match in the summer but I do feel like I need to blend it out slightly with bronzer. 


Bobbi Brown Long Wear Even Finish Foundation

Estee Lauder Double Wear in Shell - when my skin isn’t looking it’s best, nothing beats Double Wear. The full coverage foundation leaves skin looking flawless and the staying power is amazing - most of the girls who work on cosmetics counters wear this. I do find it slightly heavy to wear on it’s own every day, so I usually mix it with a little Clarins Beauty Flash Balm for a more medium coverage. This is perfect for even the most oily skinned girls. Shell is quite pink but they also have Ivory Nude which is a little more neutral but still light enough for us super pale girls. 
Estee Lauder Double Wear

I’d definitely say that Bobbi Brown and Mac are the best place to start if you have difficulties finding a foundation to match your skin. A lot of the other brands don’t offer the same selection of colours in all of their foundation ranges so sometimes it’s a bit of a hit or miss. Don’t be shy to ask for a sample. If they don’t have a pot you can always nip to Boots to get a pot and ask them to give you a little drop to try. I know how much money I’ve wasted buying foundation only to take it home and realise that the colour isn’t right, so I very rarely will buy a foundation without having tried it a few times first.

Do you have problems finding the right colour of foundation?

10 comments :

  1. You have some lovely foundations, i want them all!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a thing about foundations haha x

      Delete
  2. My problem isn't about pale, it's that my skin tone changes between summer and winter and sometimes my skin tone changes at different times. haha. :p I hope you can come by and visit my bloggie now too. I just posted about macaroons and they are "beary" special. I look forward to your visit! Let me kmnow if you want to follow each other too!

    Blessings,
    Christine
    www.beyotufiulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, that must be annoying!

      Thanks, I'll have a nosey! :) x

      Delete
  3. Great post I'm enjoying looking through your blog x

    Catherines Loves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have exactly the same pale problem as you, my bare legs literally reflect the sunlight before fake tanning! I completely agree with what you said about the MAC Studio Sculpt, I use NC15 too, and sometimes it's perfect but other times I feel like a hot mess. I love the Estee Lauder as well, might have to take a better look at the Bobbi Brown options though since I've never tried those. I'd love to see a post on which concealers you recommend for pale skin as well. xx

    http://anxiouslybold.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbi Brown is fab! Their colours are slightly on the yellow side so it's definitely worth getting a sample.

      Yeah! That's such a great idea about the concealers! x

      Delete
  5. This post is amazing, thank you so much! I have ginger skin (but I'm ginger!) and totally share your pain. I love Double Wear too, and I've recently been looking into Bobbi Brown after a few recommendations. I feel like I want to print off this post and use it as a makeup shopping guide!

    www.bloglovin.com/emlotabblog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Yeah, it's definitely worth having a look at Bobbi Brown. x

      Delete